19 August 2016

Letters to Madeline: 7 Things I Want You To Remember About Starting Kindergarten

Although you’ve been to day care and preschool all these years, kindergarten will be different. This is what I’m told anyway. I wouldn’t know as I haven’t been there in 35 years, but the important thing to remember is that it’s the start of your official school record. It’s such an exciting time for you, Maddy. There are so many things I want to tell you about what you’re getting ready to experience but for now, this is what I want to tell you...



Dear Maddy,


Today is your last day of day care. I will hold your little hand as we walk inside your preschool classroom for the last time. We will end this part of your life in the same way we started – together. Since you were three months old, you’ve been in day care. In this time, you’ve learned so much: how to walk, how to talk, how to socialize, colors, numbers, and so much more. Your father and I have watched you grow from a helpless baby into a semi-independent girl and on Monday, you will start a new chapter of your life – kindergarten, or “big girl school” as you like to call it.


Although you’ve been to day care and preschool all these years, kindergarten will be different. This is what I’m told anyway. I wouldn’t know as I haven’t been there in 35 years, but the important thing to remember is that it’s the start of your official school record. It’s such an exciting time for you, Maddy. There are so many things I want to tell you about what you’re getting ready to experience but for now, this is what I want to tell you:


Do What You Know Is Right.

You have been raised to know right from wrong and you are blessed with the gift of discernment. Listen to the still, small voice that guides and directs you every day. Stand firm in what you know is good and right even if it’s not popular or well-received. At the end of the day, your character is the only thing that matters. Don’t compromise it for anyone.


Respect Your Teacher.

Aside from your father and me, your teacher (hopefully) will be your biggest support and advocate in your learning. This person has sacrificed their own time and money to give you the best start possible to your school career. Respect that, and the job they are doing that helps you.


Be Yourself.

One of the best things about starting kindergarten is the opportunity to make new friends and while that’s exciting and new all at the same time, don’t forget who you are. It’s okay to be different. Our differences is what makes the world go ‘round. Appreciate the talents and ideas that your new friends bring to the table but never forget what makes you truly special – simply being you.




Accept That You Will Make Mistakes and That’s Okay. 

The only guarantees in life are death, taxes and mistakes. Everyone makes them as we are all imperfect. I’m 40 and mess things up every day. Don’t beat yourself up when you make a mistake, instead, learn from it. Grow from it and keep your life moving. No successful person ever got anywhere wallowing in their self-pitty and goof-ups.


Never Stop Asking Questions and Being Curious. 

One of the many things I love about you is your curiosity. You’re always asking me or daddy questions about everything. Don’t ever lose your sense of wonderment in the world around you. Yes, it will make you a better student but more importantly, a better person. Keep your mind and heart open to new experiences, places and people.




Embrace and Celebrate Diversity. 

We are all unique in our own ways and bring something different to the table. All of us want to be loved, befriended and accepted for who we are. If you see that another child is struggling or needs help, ask what you can do to assist. Never make fun or pick on anyone. You wouldn’t want it done to you, right?


Don’t Forget to Have Fun!

You will only be young once. As you get older, you will gain more responsibility so yes, while kindergarten is the beginning of your scholastic career… its still just kindergarten (shhhhh. You never heard me say that). Don’t forget to laugh, to play and relish in your youth. One day you will be old, like me.


Oh, Maddy. I’m so proud of you and excited to see what is in store over the next year. I can’t wait to hear about all the amazing and wonderful things you’re going to do and learn over the next year. This is such an exciting time for you and for your dad and me as well. Per the usual, I’m sure you will handle this all with so much grace while your good ole mom is wrapped up in the fetal position crying myself to sleep. You may have to help me out a little bit, okay?


So on Monday, I will take your hand once more, albeit a little more grown up and walk with you into the next chapter of your life.



Just remember to wash your hands, okay? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment