20 June 2016

Sunday Reset: 7 Ways to Organize Your Life on Sunday to Make Your Week Easier

Before I had Madeline, I had a Sunday ritual of resetting my life to prepare myself for the upcoming week - groceries, food planning, cleaning, and life maintenance. I am a person who craves order (as much as one can get with a four year old) and operate much more effectively and efficiently when I have a plan of action and am prepared for life to the best of my ability.

Wellllll...


One child and four moves later, that ritual got shot to hell. If you have children then you know how having kids changes life so I'm not going to waste time explaining how my Sunday ritual of resetting my life got put on the back burner. What I will take time to say is that since that happened, I've been able to tell a HUGE difference in the way my life operates without it and it's no bueno.  Lately, my soul has been craving order and organization so I decided to bring back the Sunday ritual of resetting my life to prepare for a smooth week ahead. I'm hoping this little change brings more balance and frees up more time in other areas for my life. 


So without further adieu, here are the top seven things I do on Sunday to prepare myself and my family for a fresh start with the upcoming week.


Sunday Reset: 7 Ways to Organize Your Life on Sunday to Make Your Week Easier. #parenting #organization #homeorganization



ONE. Wipe down bathroom & kitchen counters & clean up bar space | I know most people don't want to feel like they are spending their entire weekend cleaning but really, doing this only takes me about 15 minutes and allows me to put everything back in its right place while doing some light maintenance cleaning at the same time - change out towels, wipe down counters, and empty the trash in each bathroom waste basket. If I'm up for it, I'll even run the Swiffer mop over the hardwoods. Think of it this way: for most people, the bathroom is the first place you go to on Monday morning when the alarm clock goes off. How much better would it feel to wake up to an organized and clean space vs. clutter and a mess. It really does set the tone for the day and how your week starts. I also like to clean off the bar in our kitchen because it usually becomes the catch-all space in our home for things like bills, paperwork, and odds and ends. Clean it, organize it, and get the clutter out of there!



TWO. Wash bedroom sheets and straighten up your nightstand | Bottom line, who doesn't L-O-V-E going to bed on fresh sheets? Wash off the previous week and start anew on Sunday. 


THREE. Check your calendar and to-do lists | This seems like something that would be obvious but most people wait until Monday morning to do this. Monday's are usually a crime scene for most of us so get a jump on it by going over your calendar and to-do list for the upcoming week on Sunday. This way, you have no surprises and are prepared right off the bat for Monday morning.


FOUR. Clean out your fridge and restock your pantry and fridge | Get rid of the junk, bottom line. Toss leftovers that you know aren't going to be consumed and stock your fridge and pantry with the essentials you know your family needs. This is also an excellent opportunity to plan your meals for the week since you will know what is stocked in your pantry. There is no worse feeling in the world than to get home from a long and busy day {especially for you working moms!} to only realize that you don't have what you need to make dinner. Yes, going to the grocery on the weekends can be hell but it is so worth it if you think about how it will benefit you in the long run.


FIVE. If you're a coffee drinker, use the automatic brew option on your maker | This is a great tip for every day, not just on Sunday evenings. My alarm goes off at 5:00 during the week with my coffee maker going off at 6. I usually hit the snooze a couple of times but when I do get up, my coffee is hot and ready for me. Better yet, it's one less thing I have to worry with in the morning. Take the time the night before to do this - it only takes 5 minutes if that and you will be super surprised at how much of a difference it makes.






SIX. Tackle the laundry | I admit, there are weekends when I just don't get all the laundry done. I've come to accept that it's basically a never ending chore plus, there are times when my schedule just doesn't allow time for it all, BUT I do try my best to knock out a good portion of it on Sundays. If not a good portion, then definitely the staples; undies, pants, and shirts I know I will want to wear during the week. Huge time saver Monday thru Friday.


SEVEN. Kid check | Wash and plan outfits in advance for the upcoming week. Do any school administrative paperwork that needs to be turned in and place it with your child's school bag. Firm up your schedule with your spouse/partner in case alternate arrangements for day care or school drop off/pick up need to be made. If you have a child in day care, pack their bag on Sunday - you know the drill - make sure they have diapers, wipes, blankets for nap, and spare clothing. If you have a child who is toilet training, make sure to include extra clothing and underpants. Check the school's menu for the upcoming week to plan accordingly for allergies and meal replacements. 


I know this list seems like a lot but aside from the laundry, the rest takes me only a couple of hours to accomplish. Once you get your own system established and learn what works best for you and your family, it is a breeze PLUS the time you take to invest in being prepared for the week will save you tons in aggravation, chaos, and crazy down the road. I even do some of these things on a nightly basis and it makes my life so much easier. It's a truly beautiful thing!



What are some things that you do on the weekends to prepare for the week ahead? Share your tips!



Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment