03 August 2016

Stop Telling Me When, How and Where To Talk About Politics

Let’s have a mutual understanding about this post before I continue, okay?

With everything going on in the world today, I have a lot on my heart and mind that I need want to talk about. I can’t go another day in silence writing about Starbucks trips, fluff and weekend updates. Those posts certainly have a time and place, but not today. Today, I’m serious. Since this is my blog, I guess I have the right to do that. You as my reader have the right to exit out now if you want however, I have a sneaky suspicion that you wouldn’t have clicked into this post after reading the title if you weren’t interested in what I have to say. Either way – welcome. If you choose to stay and read on, please also make the choice to do so with an open mind and an open heart. It’s cool if we disagree but let’s be kind. If you don’t think that’s possible, then please keep scrolling.

Cool? Cool. Let’s go.


I have always had a love of politics. Blame it on my insane need to see justice done. Blame it on the debater in me. Blame it on my high school political science teacher who ignited the fire in me to care about the issues. She’s also the one who wrote in my yearbook, “Dear Madam President” when she signed it. I was that passionate about it all, even in high school. Point the finger at whom or what you will but the fact remains – I enjoy politics but more than that, it’s important to me.   So please, stop telling me when, how and where to talk about it.


I have always had a love of politics. Blame it on my insane need to see justice done. Blame it on the debater in me. Blame it on my high school political science teacher who ignited the fire in me to care about the issues. She’s also the one who wrote in my yearbook, “Dear Madam President” when she signed it. I was that passionate about it all, even in high school. Point the finger at whom or what you will but the fact remains – I enjoy politics but more than that, it’s important to me.


So please, stop telling me when, how and where to talk about it.


We are told that money, religion and politics are the three issues no one should discuss in public, and especially not with friends and family. Well, I adamantly disagree. Honestly, this has to be the biggest lie and scare tactic we’ve ever been sold in our culture. We have made politics such an extremely taboo topic and as a result, made it uncomfortable. While a lot of people don’t want to be bothered, find it annoying and simply don’t care, a lot of people do care, and honestly, everyone should care, especially with this upcoming election.


Why is there such pause, such hesitance, such backlash to talk about the issues and the people who affect our lives, livelihood and futures? I mean, think about it. Really think about it. Every day I scroll through my Facebook feed, I see people talking about, debating and becoming invested in the most insane, mind-numbing bullshit immaginable; celebrity drama. Reality TV. What the true color of a dress is. The Kardashians. The Starbucks red cup debate, and the list goes on and on and on but wait! Someone wants to talk about how a proposed bill in Congress will affect their family? A female friend wants to share how Planned Parenthood helped her get the medical exams she needed at a decent price because she can’t afford insurance? A single dad or a single mom who works full-time wants to make their opinion known as to why paid parental leave and equal pay in the workplace is essential to keeping them afloat?


No. We can’t talk about those things.


We will share ultrasound scans of the inside of our womb. Pictures of women breastfeeding is now the new normal. We have zero reserve about posting birth photos. We are so quick to air all our dirty laundry and mothers don’t think twice about posting potty-training pictures of their children all over social media.


But, no. Heaven forbid, don’t talk about politics. It might offend someone!


Think about how insanely ass backwards this is. How did we become so far removed from caring and talking about the things that truly matter and affect us? Why is this considered bad? Why are we made to feel bad and shunned for wanting to talk about real issues that affect our lives? Talking about politics can open up productive and positive discussions. Having a respectful conversation with someone can open you and the other person up to new opinions and ideas that you may have never considered. Having a discussion about the issues and concerns of our time just might change your mind, create a new stance or further cement what you already believe. It’s powerful. It’s life-changing.


It’s definitely not a sexy topic to discuss nor is it really all that fun. I get it. However, you can’t afford to hate or ignore politics. The politics of this country is what fuels your freedom and your democracy. And what is democracy? It is by the people, of the people and for the people. The day you stop taking an active interest in politics and how it affects your life and the lives of those around you is the day democracy dies and friends, we are almost at that breaking point.


For the first time in my adult life, I’m scared to live in this country. I’m scared about mine and my daughter’s rights as women. I’m scared of the racial divide that continues to grow deeper with each passing day. I’m worried about my country. I’m worried about my friends and family. I’m worried about people I don’t even know and how decisions and policies are affecting their lives. For the first time in a long time, I feel helpless to protect myself, my family and my future. I feel like America is on fire and there’s no water, just a lot of wind and hot air fanning the flames. We are the divided states of America. Nothing about us feels united.


I know I’m not alone in my feelings. I know there are those of you out there (maybe even reading this post?) who feel the same way. Don’t be afraid to speak up. Don’t be afraid to question. Don’t be afraid to support the causes and issues you believe in. Don’t be afraid to fight for you and your family. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re wasting your time for caring about politics, issues and causes. And above all…


Don’t be afraid to share your beliefs and talk about politics openly and honestly. Effective and positive change has never happened by those who are silent and scared and truthfully, if anyone ever tells you to stifle your voice, you should probably rethink your association with them.


So to everyone who says we shouldn’t talk about politics or post about politics on social media: #sorrynotsorry but I will not stop. Social media, by its very nature, is designed to be an individualist platform where people are allowed to represent themselves to those who are supposedly their “friends” so sorry - you don’t get to tell them how to do it. In your own individuality, you have the right to choose whether or not you want to read what they have to say. You either agree or disagree but to dictate how, when and where they do it? No. You don’t have that right. To be more blunt, if we’re friends, why wouldn’t you care about my core values and beliefs? If I have “friends” who tell me that my passions are annoying and that I shouldn’t discuss them or that I should learn what to post to please everyone, what good is our friendship really?


You aren’t my friend. You’re just someone who expects to have an all-access pass to my life, who expects me to pay attention to your life unrequited while you tell me what to do, when to do it and how to do it. 


Stop it. 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I believe we are all entitled to our own opinion, especially in politics. If we freely share our opinions, we just need to be open to the opinions of others as well.

    ReplyDelete